°

Banned driver led police on four-mile high-speed pursuit

By Neil_Shaw | Posted: July 06, 2017

0 COMMENTS SHARES
Comments (0)

A man led police on a high-speed pursuit through busy city streets because he didn't want them to question him about drugs.

Nathaniel Freeman, 31, who was already banned from driving, also assaulted a police officer when he was eventually stopped. Freeman has at least eight previous convictions for driving while disqualified, many of them chalked up before he passed his test.

Judge Ian Lawrie jailed him for a total of two years for a string of offences at Plymouth Crown Court, reports plymouthherald.

He said: "You drove a significant distance of 3.7 miles through an urban area. You drove at speed. It is fair to say that nobody was injured and no other vehicles were struck. You had something to hide. That is what prompted you to drive away when the police came looking for you.

"Your previous record is what damns you. You have a complete disregard for the rules of the road and for other road users when you want to escape the attention of the police."

Freeman, of Leytonstowe in London, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, driving while disqualified and without insurance in Elliott Road, Prince Rock, on April 11.

He also admitted assaulting a police officer by beating and obstructing an officer.

A previous hearing was told that the assault amounted to him grabbing the male detective constable as he tried to take the keys from the ignition after he was stopped.

Judge Lawrie also banned Freeman, who used to live in Plymouth, from the road for another three years.

The Herald reported in 2009 that Freeman was jailed at the same court for driving dangerously and while disqualified.

He sped away from police and rammed a patrol car while trying to avoid arrest in Stoke. Freeman reached estimated speeds of 50mph in 30mph streets during a five-minute chase. He was locked up for 14 months.

DEVON NEWS

Article Image

Moving on travellers costs one Devon council more than £30,000

The cost of moving travellers off of land in just one part of Devon rocketed to £33,640 for the 2015/16 financial year. Plymouth City Council spent the
Article Image

What are the top 150 businesses in Devon and Cornwall?

The Range empire owned by Devon billionaire Chris Dawson has once again topped the Top 150 list of largest employers in Devon and Cornwall. The discount
Article Image

Man abandoned in a cinema toilet as a baby 61 years ago is about

A Devon man abandoned in a cinema when he was a baby 61 years ago is to meet the family who never knew he existed. Rob Weston was abandoned in a cinema in
Article Image

'Inadequate' school in Exeter where pupils were at risk of harm

Ofsted inspectors have returned to 'inadequate' Exeter Royal Academy for Deaf Education this week to conduct a monitoring visit.During their two-day visit this
Article Image

Thunderstorms heading for Devon following scorching weather

Thunderstorms may hit parts of Devon as forecasters warn of heavy rain and the threat of sudden flooding. The Met Office has issued a warning for rain across
Article Image

'Doris was sat with her backside over the loo with her paws on

Richard Monk is the owner of Saltcity - Exeter's first and last remaining surf shop. Last year he celebrated his 26th anniversary in business. Located in Fore
Article Image

Tractor driving in East Devon village branded 'ridiculous'

The harvest season is causing tractors to drive at 'ridiculous' speeds through an East Devon village, it has been has claimed. Large tractors and trailers

Read more from Devon Live

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION